We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
For many families up and down the UK, money is something that is a cause of concern. Or should that be a lack of it? Money is something that we all wish that we had more of, but that is easier said than done. This post is about genius ways to save money. You can do all or a few of these and hopefully you will save money each month.
Rather than focusing on making more money, which can be hard, why not focus yourself on saving money instead? Not sure where to start with this? We have put together some of our favourite genius ways to still live a happy family life as well as save you money too.
Always switch your energy bills
It comes as a surprise to many just how much money you can save by taking the time to switch your energy to a cheaper tariff. In fact, you can save as much as £300+ every year, which is enough to pay out for a weekend away. The best news is that switching energy tariffs isn’t that much of a pain and essentially you are always getting the same quality, just not for the same price.
Take the time to properly budget
Budgeting isn’t the most fun task to do, however, if you are looking to save money in the long term, then you need to sit down and work out a family budget. Think about bills that you need to pay, day to day living costs that you have and what money you could put away against holidays and days away. You may be surprised to find out just where your money goes as well as where it could be better allocated. Head over to my blog post on how to budget for easy steps in setting your budget.
Don’t disregard your best before dates
Food waste is a huge problem in modern life. Not only does it fill up landfill sites, but it also costs families money each and every year. One of the biggest misconceptions about food is that you have to throw it away as soon as the best before comes around. The use by date is the one to watch out for, as this could mean that food is past a safe time to eat, however best before is just that. You can be surprised by just how long some foods can last and rather than wasting money throwing them away, instead you could use them and save yourself some pennies.
Always look for a deal
Every family looks forward to spending the day together. This often means trips to theme parks, attractions or zoos. Unfortunately, some of these can be incredibly expensive, however, much like many other things in life, you can find a deal if you look hard enough. Before you go, check out what deals are online, you may be surprised by just how much money you can save by taking the time to look online.
Try out lower price supermarkets
Food is a part and parcel of every day life. It is something that we all need on a daily basis. That said, it is something that we can save money on pretty easily. One of the simplest ways is to switch the supermarket that you shop at. There are plenty of lower price supermarkets that you can try out as well as deciding to buy own brands, both things that can save you more money then you may realise.
Other genius ways to save money include:
- Save money on your groceries with coupons or get some groceries for free on the Shopmium app!
- Sell your unused or unwanted items on Gumtree or Ebay.
- Try meal planning which saves you time and money.
- Save on tumble dryer costs by hanging your clothes outside!
- Try using public transport. Or walk part of the way! Good for your health and your wallet!
- Stick to using cash as much as possible – you can see where your money goes that way!
- Save your pennies. Good for saving up for a specific event or item.
- Look for second hand alternatives.
- Phone your current suppliers of all utilities and see what kind of deal they can offer you.
- Swap from branded goods to generic ones.
- Buy preloved items when you can on Ebay or Gumtree.
- Cancel any unused memberships such as gym.
- Visit cashback websites to get money back!
- Sign up for reward points, coupons and to get free groceries. Read this post on getting free groceries.
- Buy a flask and make coffee at home to bring with you.
- Use coupons as much as you can.
- Use free wi-fi as much as possible.
- Do you have a spare room? Consider renting it out as an Airbnb. This is a great way of bringing in some extra income and be a wonderful host to a visitor.
As you can see, saving money need not be a headache. Why not try out these tips for yourself and see if these genius ways to save money help you!